I’ve dry-fit the face-frame of the vanity together to get an idea how it will go together. I put the face frame together using pocket screws, which seems to be the popular way to do it these days. I thought the Kreg jig was a bit expensive, but I must say it works extremely well. Even for my first time using it, it went together very quickly and feels extremely solid. All of the pieces of the frame are all nice and flush too.
Although I’ve watched enough New Yankee Workshop to make me feel like a woodworker, I haven’t actually built much since high school shop class. Therefore I can’t just go out without a plan and start cutting wood, and since I didn’t find any published plans for a bathroom vanity that looked liek what I want, I decided to make my own. Using a CAD program I’ve mocked-up what the vanity will hopefully end up looking like. I’ve been able to get some good dimensions and figure out where all my cuts need to go.
This might not look like much, but soon it will be our new vanity. I’ve decided that instead of buying the vanity to go in the powder room that we will be redoing shortly, I would instead build it from scratch. There were a couple of reasons for this. First off we were having a hard time finding a vanity that we liked, in the color that Jess wanted. In addition, the ones that we did like were all to big for the tiny bathroom. We probably could have found a nice one in the right color at the same store we purchased the cabinetry for our other bathroom. However then we would ahve run into the price issue. Not counting the countertop, the vanity was almost $1,000. I did some estimating and decided that the wood and supplies if I built it myself would only cost about $300. This means that I had $700 left over to buy new tools! Well not quite, but I did buy a pocket screw kit, and a planer to help make the project.